Saturday 2 July 2022

It's Monday 1/24! What Are You Reading?

Hosted by The Book Date

I am slowly recovering from COVID, slowly. Last week I achieved two important milestones. tested negative for Covid on Thursday (finally!) and left home to go out in public on Saturday. I made a quick trip to the local health food store, but it felt like a big deal after three weeks of mostly being at home. And today I finally go to the pediatrician, which was scheduled for the first week of January.

Away from home! In public!

I also took a short, slow walk to our local nature center last Tuesday and it was nice to be outside again, but it was too much for me and I was in a bad mood the next day. Small steps! I know it will be a slow recovery due to major immune system issues, but I am so relieved to see these small signs of improvement. I will go for a walk again this week.

Go! For a short walk.

Last week I made a few videos and uploaded one.

Friday reads 1-21-22 - where I talk about my latest reading


And here are the books we all read last week.

I'm almost done reading The Bottle of Lies by Catherine Eban. This non-fiction book was featured in my neighborhood book group on Zoom last week (I wasn't smart enough to get into it). The author is an investigative journalist and the book is about the dangerous frauds and scandals in the generic drug industry. It's a great book, well researched and well written, but it's scary. I'm reading the epilogue now and it seems that many of the dire questions uncovered by the researchers and Txistularis are still unresolved. Pooh.

I'm still listening to Jennifer Hay's Mercy Street on tape, out February 1st. I love Haye's novels and it's been years since she's had a new release so I was excited to see her name on the list. next posts! This novel focuses on life at Boston Women's Hospital and the many people involved; Klaudia, a consultant who works there. Anthony, raised in the area, lives with his mother and participates in anti-abortion protests. and a local herbalist who often works with Timmy, Claudia and Anthony. Haye has a knack for bringing ordinary characters to life on the page.

 

 

My husband, Ken, is still reading Gardens of the Moon by Stephen Erickson, the first book in the Malazan Book of the Fallen , a fantasy novel that our son recommended. It is a long and compact book, but now they say it is only 60 pages. It was a slow start, but he enjoyed it.


Our 27-year-old son is still reading the book his girlfriend gave him, Evan Winters ' Wrath of Dragons , the first book in the Burning series. Last week I heard a bookseller put together his top books for 2021. She mentioned my son's favorite fantasy...and this book. So I think it's on its way. It is also one of Time magazine's 100 best books of all time.

 

I've been working on the 2021 book summary all week. Here are my blog posts from last week.

Monday movie. Finch - funny - hot and funny - movie with Tom Hanks

Best Books I've Read in 2021 - Finally! My year in review after a great year of reading.

Summary of the 2021 Reading Challenges . I enjoyed a lot of fun challenges last year, now I have to pick new ones before the end of January.

What you read on Monday is curated by Katherine at Book Day , so read and check out her blog and get involved on Monday. You can also participate in the Kids/Teens/Ya version hosted by Unleashing Readers .

Follow me on Twitter at @SueBookByBook or on my Facebook page.

What are you and your family reading this week ?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

It's Monday 1/24! What Are You Reading?

Hosted by The Book Date I am slowly recovering from COVID, slowly. Last week I achieved two important milestones. tested negative for Cov...