Wednesday 29 June 2022

It's Monday 2/21! What Are You Reading?

The book is posted by date

Hope everybody is well on Monday morning. Happy President's Day in the United States!

Same thing here plus ... my father-in-law came out of the hospital and back to the nursing home. He was often thought to be severely dehydrated and malnourished. When he returns, we fear he will go down that path again. My husband and I (and my son, when he’s here) go there every day, especially during meals, to encourage him to eat and drink more, but they still keep him on a pure diet, which is pretty bad! We have requested a staff meeting tomorrow to help employees better understand your needs. We want to get back to the original food, go back to PT and get out of bed little by little every day. It was very frustrating to watch this broadcast and also denied a lot of pain.

That's really what happens in our lives! Nowadays we are especially focused on taking care of her, meeting her and taking care of her as needed. My husband and son worked over the weekend to get all their belongings out of their apartment. Our house is now full of all his belongings, plus all our son's belongings and everything he has accumulated in the last 27 years!

I was able to upload a new video last week to update my weekly reading:

Friday reading 2-18-22

And I have another funny video that I will edit and upload this week.

Ah, I've done all the corrections for January. You can watch the summary video of my January reading , I’m talking about six books I read last month. Since I don't recap monthly blogs here, I thought I'd give you a brief overview of how I came up with my reading challenges last month:

Mount TBR Challenge - Only 2 out of 6 were on my shelves, I should start playing!

The Motivational Challenge for January was new to you and you read Genesville by new writer Amy Goldstein.

Back to Classic 2022 - I started with Classic in January! It is told in Ray Bradbury's classic short story The Illustrated Man .

Alphabet Challenge - You've completed all the unique letters B, H, I, J, M and S!

Factual Readers Challenge: The new year begins with two non-fiction books in science and economics.

Diversity Challenge - Good start! Five of my six books were miscellaneous.

Travel the world in books - I've been to India, Ghana, the UK and ... Mars and Venus!

Literary Escape Challenge - I have 3 women: Maryland, Massachusetts and Minnesota, plus Wisconsin.

This is what we all read last week. Focus on Black History Month:

I quickly read Shannon Hitchcock’s Ruby Lee and Me, a middle-class novel that I totally enjoyed. It’s a sweet story about 12-year-old Sarah whose younger sister was seriously injured in a car accident for which Sarah blames herself. Sarah is on her grandparents' farm while her sister is in the hospital. He was always best friends with Ruby, the black girl next door. But the upcoming local school merger has worried the whole city, and so has Sarah and Robbie. The novel is warm and moving, with some serious content that it deals with honestly; It's nice in every way.

 

I finally read Octavia Butler's Kindred book. Opa. You totally amazed me !! Dana, a 26-year-old black woman from California in 1976, suddenly and unexpectedly found herself in a slave garden in North Carolina in 1815. She is on the bank of the river and sees a boy drowning, so she goes swimming to save him, giving him a verbal break to revive him on the beach, before seeing his mother and starting the journey. . Understand what he is doing. At one point, Dana returns in 1976, wet, muddy and shivering, describing what happened to her white husband Kevin. Dana is brought to the factory several times to save her son Rufus, but sometimes her stay is prolonged, lasting eight months. Living the life of a slave on a farm through the story of Dana is moving, powerful and sometimes destructive. I took care of all the characters and I read them very late every night. I put this book down, why did you wait so long to read it?

 

Finally, I finished an audiobook that perfectly matched Richard Wright's Black History, a memoir first published in 1945. The author Jim Crowe talks about childhood, poverty, hunger, racism, abuse and fear in rural southern Mississippi. The second part, after going to Chicago and going to communism, was not a very good one for me, but it is interesting. The word is nice, and listening to the author in the first person is particularly suggestive and powerful. I have to choose my next word!

My husband, Ken, has just finished reading Ben Winters' City Countdown , the second book in The Last Cop movie . I started this series last year and gave this book as a Christmas gift. The series revolves around Detective Hank Ballas, a dedicated police officer who continues his work in the face of disaster. In 77 days, an asteroid will hit Earth and end our Earth, but Hank is investigating the disappearance of a man (in a world where many people are now disappearing). Very good! She really liked this series, and I would love to read it too.

 

Our son (27) is still reading Glenn Cook's Chronicles of the Black Company , a book in the series of the same name. He says it’s a series he wanted to read year after year and saw it last year at our local Thrift store. When he went there a few weeks ago, he explained to me that this book already contains the first book in the series, so it’s a scam!

 

Last week's blog post:

Monday: Honey Boy - a critically acclaimed, entertaining and ongoing performance by a child actress, based on the writings and performances of Shia Lebiu and her life.

Fiction Review: Jennifer High's Mercy Street People's Life revolves around a women's clinic, one of my favorite authors.

Mid-Level Review: Marshmallow and Jordan by Alina Chow - a graphic novel about a disabled middle-class girl with beautiful watercolor images that enliven the Indonesian page.

What I read on Monday was mentioned by Katherine on the book date, so check out her blog and join in the fun on Monday! You can also participate in the Child / Teen / YA version of Unleashing Readers.

Follow me on Twitter @SueBookByBook or on my Facebook page.

What are you and your family reading this week?

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

It's Monday 1/24! What Are You Reading?

Hosted by The Book Date I am slowly recovering from COVID, slowly. Last week I achieved two important milestones. tested negative for Cov...