Monday 27 June 2022

It's Monday 3/14! What Are You Reading?


Happy cake day! (You get it? Today is March 14th, same name as 3.14) And thanks to the Today Show for reminding me that I didn't have to change my dinner plans this morning to make chicken pies to Mini apple pies to make dessert. Join us! Here's the day before the cake (half home made, half store bought).

Chicken pie for dessert (right) Pie.

The weather here is crazy, it's usually in March. On Friday I painted the freshly opened crocuses and on Saturday it snowed. Today will be in the 60's and probably the 70's by the end of the week, so the last outbreak of winter isn't lasting long, thank goodness.

The first crocus

Snow Saturday!

As I mentioned, we set up a hospital for my 96-year-old mother-in-law, so her life was coming to an end. We went to him every day, mostly he was asleep or completely insane. But I had a big tour with him on Saturday. She's awake - awake - in a completely different world, but so happy. She displayed her world record fish on the wall (there was nothing on the wall of her small nursing home) and shared her fishing story for the next 90 minutes. He loves fishing, so he is always immersed in good memories. He thought he was in the lake, he asked me to turn. - But he was very happy, so he plunged into the imaginary world of his memory. After seeing her suffer for the past few months (8 years) my heart is filled with joy to see her so happy again. When my husband and son arrived before dinner, they returned as usual. I'm glad I was with her on this magical getaway.

My father-in-law took his record fish.

Come back to the world of reading. I recorded and uploaded a video of my February reading , so check out the seven great books I've read, mostly as part of this month's story. It was a great month of reading.


Until the end of February, here is my reading progress 2021.

Call Mount TBR. So far I have read six books from my own shelf. My goal is 48.

Monthly Purpose Test .

Go back to the classic 2022. My goal this year is to read 6 classic books and I will read 2. I'm very proud of myself. In February, I added Richard Wright's 1945 memoir The Boy Who Came, which I classified as classic nonfiction.

Alphabet Soup Challenge - I have already completed 8 characters (out of 26).

Challenges for Nonfiction Readers . Richard Wright's Son of a Beach drew on my nonfiction challenge and brought my total to 12 with 12 goals.

Diversity Challenge - I read 12 different books this year. About what I've read so far.

Travel the world with books . In February I added তে to Haiti Indonesia, two places I had rarely read before.

I've completed the Literature Escape Challenge in 8 of the 51 states (including DC) so far.

And that's what we all read last week.


I've finished my first book for Booktopia 2022 (click Events স্ক scroll down for more info), Dahlia Azim's Country of Origin և I like it. The bookstores at Northshire Bookstore always chose unusual books/authors for the event, and this first novel was no exception. It started in Egypt in 1952 when Cairo was burned and the independence revolution began. Expelled from the British Girls School she attended, 14-year-old Halah began to feel trapped in her own home. He knew very little about the privileged, the secure, the outside world. A few years later he fled to New York with a soldier. There are different parts of this novel from the point of view of Hala and her husband and daughter. It's exciting և interesting և I'm still thinking about it (always a good sign).

I'm currently reading one of my husband's Christmas gifts, Emily St. Glashotel . John Mandel, a book I've been waiting for. I love Station 11 , so far this second novel is just as good. A young woman named Vincent grew up in a small town on the outskirts of Vancouver, with a few more houses. When Vincent was fourteen, his mother once went canoeing and disappeared. Vincent wandered his whole life, unable to put down roots, living in Vancouver, working as a bartender at a luxury hotel in Cayte, pretending to be married to a rich man, and cooking on a container ship. I was completely immersed in this novel about an unusual life.


I ended up listening to Kelly Young's March middle class " Dream Room " (see #booktube) - it's really great (և probably the third book in the trilogy so the first two books can be great). I'm listening to another mid-range audiobook right now, Anne Claire Lesoth's Free Me. It is about Mary, a fourteen-year-old deaf girl in the early 1800s who lives in Martha's Vineyard with a loving family and supportive community. A friend in Boston asked Mary to help a deaf girl who was being treated like an animal. Mary was happy teaching her eight year old daughter, but is it possible to teach someone who doesn't know the language at all? So far, so good.


My husband still reads Folet's Never . We've both been fans of Folet's books since the 80's when he mostly wrote thrillers, but in a modern, global, one-of-a-kind race against time, he's going back to his roots. At the very beginning of the author's contribution it is said that he thought about a seemingly short series of events that could trigger World War I and thus created a similar situation in the world today (with the President of the United States). . Sounds interesting জেনে to know how Folet writes, I'm sure it's exciting too.

Our 27 year old son has returned to read his favorite The Magic of Reclusion series , LE Modestit Jr. "Okay, now try to support me with this," he explained to me when he was home last week. Before moving on to the fifth book, Death of Chaos , he re-read the first book, The Magic of Fatig , because the fifth book is actually a direct sequel to the first. The series is difficult to follow. (For me, not for him). The 4th book in the chronological order of the series is the 18th, the 1st the 21st, the 5th the 22nd. Do you understand whatever it was, he loved and enjoyed the TV series.
 
New blog post.
 
Yes rating. By Deborah Wells, Kent . A powerful first person story in the event from many perspectives. Great sound

Looking back at the middle class. A continuing story of migration from rural Haiti to New York to Brooklyn with the mountains by Edwich Dandikat.

What you're reading on Monday was hosted by Katherine on Book Date, so be sure to check out her blog. You can also attend the Kids/Teen/YES Edition hosted by Unleashing Readers.

You can follow me on Twitter @SueBookByBook or on my Facebook blog page.

What did your family read this week?

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

It's Monday 1/24! What Are You Reading?

Hosted by The Book Date I am slowly recovering from COVID, slowly. Last week I achieved two important milestones. tested negative for Cov...